With an eye on returning a league championship to the West Kootenay, the Selkirk College Saints now have roadmap of what it will take to come out on top in the upcoming 2017-2018 British Columbia Intercollegiate Hockey League (BCIHL) season.The Saints released a schedule this week that includes six exhibition and 25 regular season games. The action gets underway on the September 15 and 16 weekend with an exhibition home-and-home series against Eastern Washington University. The puck will drop on the regular season at home on October 6 when the Simon Fraser University Clan visit the Castlegar & District Recreation Complex.“We’re looking forward to another great season,” says Selkirk College Athletics & Recreation Coordinator Kim Verigin. “With the addition of Vancouver Island University (VIU) to the league, hockey fans will get an even better mix of high calibre college hockey.” Now playing in a six-team league, the Saints will lock horns with each squad five times. The Saints will play 12 regular season games at the Castlegar arena and 13 games on the road. The first visit to the West Kootenay for the newest team will take place on October 21 and weekend roadtrips west to Vancouver Island will now include games in both province’s capital against the University of Victoria Vikes and a stop in Nanaimo to match up against VIU.Four of the Saints exhibition games will be against teams from the Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference (ACAC). On the September 22/23 weekend the locals will travel to Edmonton to play against the MacEwan University Griffins and the Concordia University Thunder. MacEwan will then pay a visit to Castlegar on September 29 and 30 for a taste of Kootenay hospitality.“MacEwan won the ACAC championship last season and will be an excellent test for the team,” says Verigin. “It’s important that we get a closer look at teams from different leagues because it provides a bit of extra excitement. We are expecting the games against both Alberta teams to be important for setting the tone for the regular season.”The Saints first half of the season features three home games in October and three home games in November. The last regular season game will be on March 3 when VIU travels to Castlegar.After capturing an extraordinary four BCIHL championships in a row, the Saints were knocked off their perch last season in the semi-finals when Trinity Western University scored a series victory. The University of Victoria then pulled off an impressive upset of both Simon Fraser University and Trinity Western University to capture the 2017 provincial title.The Saints begin training camp in the last week of August when players arrive to get prepared for the upcoming campaign. As they prepare for the excitement on the ice, the team is also making preparations for the 4th Annual Selkirk College Saints Golf Tournament which takes place on September 17 at the Castlegar Golf Course. Visit gosaints.ca or pick up forms at the Castlegar Golf Course/Mallard’s Source for Sports to register.
Nelson Youth Soccer claimed more hardware at the BC Soccer Les Sinnott Provincial B Cup tournament when the U16 Boy’s captured the bronze medal with a thrilling 3-2 extra-time victory over Prince George Sunday in Vernon.The U18 Selects won the silver medal at the BC Soccer Provincial B Girl’s Cup Sunday in Surrey while the U14 Boys took bronze, also in Vernon.Keegan Carmichael scored in the second half of overtime, blasting a rebound into the vacant net to power the Selects to the victory.Carmichael was in prime position score the marker after Ira Cristofoli-Couling beat two Prince George defenders to the wide side of the pitch before driving a hard shot the keeper was unable to corral.“This was an incredible effort by the entire team, required because of the 30-plus degree conditions playing four games in four days,” said head coach Kevin Carmichael.The game was a rematch between the two interior teams after Prince George stuck it to Nelson 2-0 at the Kamloops tournament during the spring. Nelson held a 1-0 advantage early in the second half after team captain Max Spielman was able to collect his own rebound to score the game’s opening goal.Prince George scored twice in short span of time to take a 2-1 lead.However, Nelson was able to tie the game when Moss Caney provided a brilliant cross Cristofoli-Couling was able to knock into the net.Nelson opened the tournament with a 3-2 come-from-behind win over Bays United of Victoria.The win was one for the archives as Nelson trailed 2-0 at halftime before staging the rally.Caney scored twice, including one from the penalty spot, to pull Nelson even.Fynn Keywood then capped the three-goal explosion to spark the Selects to victory.The Selects dropped a 3-1 decision to Coquitlam before bouncing back Saturday, scoring a lopsided 4-0 decision over Vernon United to secure a berth in the medal round game.Ryder Marzicola, outstanding all weekend, earned the shutout in goal for Nelson.
Most of the players were part of the U18 & U16 Thompson Okanagan Regional Team.The players are now among 40 from across the province selected to the tryout camp.“We’ve been having extra skills sessions with the coaches,” the players said when asked about the upcoming challenge. “There have been not a lot of forward focus as we were training so hard for the next game in front of us.”The tryouts were held at UBC July 12-15 and July 22-24.“I feel their chances are high, very high,” said Wood, whose been asked to assist with the U15 BC Team coaching squad. “They have all worked very hard throughout the season and PRC summer season I’ve been incredibly impressed with their growth and skill development.”The BC U15 and U17 are slated to travel to Calgary for the Nationals August 4th while the U18 squad is preparing to tour Ireland, also in August.While most of the players are back in high school for another season with the LVR Bombers, both Megale, off to the University of Victoria, and Caldecott, slated to play for the Rowers club, will begin to play men’s club rugby.However, there’s a shot a playing for BC on the horizon that has all their attention.“This is an awesome opportunity to represent the province. The exposure to good, higher level coaching. Fortunate to have been scouted.”To assist with expenses fundraising plans are in the works.Anyone wanting to help these boys achieve their dream can contact Wood at email@example.com The future looks bright for a handful of local rugby players from Nelson after the contingent received invites to the BC Provincial tryouts this weekend at University of BC in Vancouver.Michael Caldecott, Ezra Harding, Rhelmu Wilson-Valdez, Rowan Megale, Adam Strautman and Jake Doss, all from the Heritage City, as well as Ashley van Rensburg of Castlegar were in Vancouver for the provincial event.“This speaks firstly to the high-level athletes in the Kootenays and for them to get the opportunity to make their mark at a BC rugby event, at the same time creates a name for the interior,” said local coach Nikolas Wood.“This speaking highly to personal potential of these athletes but also programs being offered for rugby here in the Kootenays.”Wilson-Valdez and Adam Strautman are vying for spots on the U15 squad while Doss and Harding are shooting for the U16 & U17 roster, respectfully.Megale, Caldecott and van Rensburg are among the U18 tryouts.“Extremely excited . . . grateful for the opportunity,” said the players. “Nervous . . . we couldn’t have done it without the coaching.”The players, who are all members of the L.V. Rogers Bombers Rugby side that finished second in the BC High School Rugby Tier II Championships in Abbotsford, earned the selections during the recent Provincial Regional Championship Scouting Tournament held June 30 to July 3 in Burnaby.
South Dakota at Nicholls, Saturday, 3 p.m. CT, ESPN3National TV:ESPN College ExtraDirecTV 789Online:ESPN3http://WatchESPN.comWatchESPN and ESPN appsTalent:Dave Weekley, play-by-playTyoka Jackson, analyst FRISCO, Texas – The Nicholls Colonels received an at-large bid to the FCS playoffs and will host South Dakota in the opening round. Coverage begins Saturday at 3 p.m. exclusively on ESPN3. The Colonels, who finished 8-3 overall and 7-2 in the Southland Conference, will be making their fourth appearance in playoffs and are hosting a game for the first time.
After the Bears’ Jay Anderson reached on an error with one out in the top of the fifth, Anderson and Wiley combined to retire 13 straight batters until Anderson issued a free pass to Nathaniel Sagdahl in the seventh, the first walk by either pitcher up to that point. Anderson’s UCA counterpart, Tanner Wiley, suffered the loss despite giving up just two runs with five strikeouts of his own through six innings. Wiley was named to the all-tournament team for going 9-for-17 at the plate with seven RBI and four doubles. The Cowboys brought the score level with three-straight singles to lead off the home-half of the fourth, the third of which by Julian Gonzalez allowed Jake Dickerson to score. After Dustin Duhon bunted the runners over for the first out of the inning, Wiley retired the final two batters of the inning to escape the jam. The Bears got one back in the top of the eighth on a run-scoring single from Wiley to cut the Cowboy lead to 4-2. Following a leadoff double by Duhon, Connor Williams took over on the mound for Wiley and, after a Reid Bourque single, Duhon scored on a throwing error by Brasher to regain the lead at 2-1. McNeese put runners at second and third on a Fisbeck single and another fielding mishap, causing UCA to go to the pen again for Gavin Stone. Two pitches later, Clayton Rasbeary laced a two-run single past an outstretched Jay Anderson to push the lead to 4-1. Named the tournament MVP, McNeese pitcher Aidan Anderson tossed 3.2 innings of one-run baseball, allowing just one hit and striking out five Bears. The senior from Beaumont, Texas, finished with 12.2 innings pitched in the tournament after a complete game victory in the Cowboys’ first game against No. 4 Incarnate Word. All-tournament team member Beau Orlando added to his resume with a one-out RBI single in the fourth to drive in Tyler Smith, who reached on a base hit and advanced 180 feet on a pair of wild pitches. A Tanner Wiley single and a Cole Fiori hit-by-pitch loaded the bases for Christian Brasher, who lined out to short to limit the scoring to one. 2019 Southland Conference All-Tournament TeamAidan Anderson, McNeese (MVP)Jake Dickerson, McNeeseNate Fisbeck, McNeeseTanner Wiley, Central ArkansasJay Anderson, Central ArkansasBeau Orlando, Central ArkansasCody Davenport, Central ArkansasEddy Gonzalez, Incarnate WordEnrique Sanchez Jr., Texas A&M-Corpus ChristiNathan Pilutti, Southeastern LouisianaBryce Steckler, Southeastern LouisianaAlex Palmer, Stephen F. Austin Box Score | Photo Gallery | Tournament HomepageSUGAR LAND, Texas – For the first time since 2003, the McNeese Cowboys are Southland Conference Tournament Champions after a 4-2 win over No. 2 Central Arkansas in Saturday night’s title game.
The 26-year-old made a big impact at the Rhinos after joining them, initially on loan, from NRL club Penrith in July, helping them win nine of their last 10 matches of the season to comfortably retain their Super League status.Segeyaro officially took up a two-year contract in September, removing a get-out clause at the same time, but has stated his desire to remain in Australia, where he is enjoying an extended off-season break.”I wouldn’t say I was pressured into taking up an option to re-sign with Leeds, but I certainly didn’t have the support network I lean on when I make key life decisions,” Segeyaro was quoted as saying by News Corp Australia.”I told them I can’t make the decision to take up the option without sitting down with my family.”But we had a deadline and I had to make a decision. That’s what I’ve explained to Gary throughout this period.””I want to get on with my life and unfortunately that doesn’t include going back to the UK. I just can’t do it.”But Hetherington has reiterated the club’s stance that Segeyaro, who has been heavily linked with a move to NRL premiers Cronulla, is not for sale.”The comments attributed to James have obviously come as a big disappointment and a surprise following my meeting with him and his manager Sam Ayoub last Wednesday,” said Hetherington.”When speculation first broke regarding Cronulla and their interest in James, I alerted both the RFL and NRL chief executives to the issue and the NRL confirmed a player cannot be registered with an NRL club whilst his registration sits with a Super League club, and in James’ case he is registered with us and the RFL until the end of 2018.”Interest in him from other NRL clubs has been reported but they know he is not for sale. However I have no doubt this has become a key issue.”The integrity of our game is now on the line and I hope to have further discussions with senior officials from the RFL and NRL at the earliest opportunity.”Segeyaro is due back at Headingley in early January ahead of the start of the Super League season the following month.
The Lions were 12-3 up when hooker Robbie Coetzee was sent off in the 31st minute for kneeing an opponent in the head at a ruck. They scored six more tries while down to 14 men in a scintillating performance to keep the pressure on the unbeaten Crusaders who sit on 59 points. The Lions, who have also played 13 games but have suffered one loss, rest on 56 points. Flanker Kwagga Smith collected two tries and the Lions ultimately overran the Kings by eight tries to one for a bonus-point win.“To play with 14 men … is extremely tough but we showed some character,” Lions captain Warren Whiteley said. “We had to adjust a bit after halftime, being down to 14 men, but I think the guys switched on really well.”The Johannesburg-based Lions secured a 10th straight win and have an easier run home. They meet the lowly Sunwolves and the Sharks in their remaining games before the finals series, while the Crusaders have to face the Highlanders and the Hurricanes – the latter game is in Wellington against the defending champions.South Africa’s Super Rugby teams now have a month-long break to accommodate the June internationals.Lock Andries Ferreira and wing Courtnall Skosan put the Lions in control with early tries before Coetzee responded to a shoulder charge by Kings flanker Chris Cloete in a ruck by hitting him in the head with his knee. Coetzee saw red, and Cloete was yellow-carded.Smith raced away for his first try right at the end of the first half, when both teams were reduced to 14 men.Despite playing the entire second half with just 14 men, the Lions still attacked with zest, and often from deep inside their own half, scoring three more tries before the Kings could reply.Replacement hooker Malcolm Marx went over in a rolling maul at the start of the second half before the Lions turned on the style, with Smith starting a move that saw Ruan Dreyer set up fellow prop Jacques van Rooyen to score under the crossbar.Smith’s second started way down inside the team’s own 22 and capped a run of 28 unanswered points by the 14-man Lions.Against the run of play, Kings centre Luzuko Vulindlu intercepted for their only try of the game in the 60th minute.The Lions created two more tries, and kept going right to the end. Replacement prop Corne Fourie was twice involved in a breakout, eventually providing the final pass for scrumhalf Faf de Klerk to score. After the fulltime hooter, the Lions decided to attack from their own tryline, resulting in fullback Andries Coetzee going nearly 100m to score. Photo: Getty Images (Lions loose forward Kwagga Smith scored two tries as his side walloped the hapless Kings 54-10 in Johannesburg on Monday morning).
The Greek tennis participant Stefanos Tsitsipas, present quantity 6 of the ATP rating and present winner of the ATP Finals, has confirmed his presence at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell-68º Conde de Godó Trophy, which will be held from April 18 to 26 at the RCTB-1899.Tsitsipas, present ‘Maestro’, joins a luxurious cartel which already has 4 different ‘Prime 10’ rating, comparable to Spanish Rafael Nadalthe russian Daniil Medvedev, the Austrian Dominic Thiem and spanish Roberto Bautista.The Greek, finalist of the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell two years in the past earlier than Nadal, has accepted the match invitation to take part in the subsequent version and be, thus, the fifth ‘Prime 10’. “The arrival of Tsitsipas signifies that 4 of the six finest tennis gamers in the world will be at stake. It’s one thing that only a few calendar tournaments can get. Nadal is an lively match and as number one in the rating, its participation is the largest incentive “, commented the match’s sports activities director, David Ferrer.“At his facet will be the three that seem as the biggest threats to the large three, Medvedev, Thiem, who will defend title, and Tsitsipas. And he will even be with them Bautista, tennis participant of the membership that’s already entrenched in the ‘Prime 10’, “he mentioned.Ferrer hopes to direct a “historic” version of the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, conscious of the worth of a rare inscription. “Any of the three candidates, Medvedev, Thiem or Tsitsipas, could possibly be number one tennis in the close to future, and the necessary factor is that the match tries to retain them to compete right here each season, “he mentioned.
Donald Trump wants to sit Rafa Nadal at his desk. In accordance to ABC, the US president has requested that the tennis participant accompany the Kings at the honor dinner to be held at the White Home April 21Don Felipe and Doña Letizia will go to the State, the second to the United States, and apparently Trump intends that Rafa Nadal is amongst the outstanding personalities of all the fields that can attend the celebration. His admiration for the champion of 19 Grand Slams is public. So he advised Mariano Rajoy at a gathering in Washington in 2017, the place he described it as “a fantastic treasure for Spain”. Nevertheless, Nadal’s presence in the United States appears difficult if the outcomes go away. Day 19 is the remaining of Monte Carlo, the first 1,000 Masters of land, and day 20 begins the Godó Event in Barcelona. The part of the most important season for the Balearic. However there’s Trump’s proposal. Of the strongest man in the world.
After the death of Jose Antonio Reyes on June 1, 2018 in an unfortunate traffic accident, Extremadura UD, a club in which he was active, decided to make the decision to withdraw number 19 in his honor.Through an extensive letter signed by the president of the Almendralejo club, Manuel Franganillo, he announced that Reyes had been the last player to wear this dorsal in Extremadura. “I have the honor to announce that the shirt with the number 19 is removed from the Club kit definitely because it has an owner for eternity, a football legend that we have been lucky to have in our family. Rest in peace, José Antonio Reyes, “said an emotional letter from the president in memory of the ill-fated Utreran player. Now, just over half a year after this announcement, this number has been assigned to another player: Gao LeiLei. The club presented the Chinese player this Tuesday at noon and did not publish photos of the bib on their social networks or on their website but if Gao did it showing 19 with his name.