The city council adopted Resolution #2013-206 on Aug. 12, 2013, for an Implementation Plan that calls for Liberty to be returned along State Street near the CDTA shelter. Does that mean that all resolutions don’t mean anything after they’re passed by legal votes?Mr. Riggi stated: “Who makes the decision to put the statue back or in Steinmetz Park? Is it the council’s move or the mayor’s?” We want to know.My question is, why did the people of Goose Hill have to come up with over 200 subjects to sign petitions to have the statue placed in Steinmetz Park?Mayor McCarthy seems to be the decision maker, and he stated it will be a “semi-happy” decision.James A. WilsonSchenectadyMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?Schenectady, Saratoga casinos say reopening has gone well; revenue down 30%Schenectady’s Lucas Rodriguez forging his own path in dance, theater, musicSchenectady police reform sessions pivot to online I was one of the speakers at the Schenectady City Council meeting on March 26 regarding the returning of the Statue of Liberty that was removed from Gateway (Liberty) Park due to construction.This is the land of liberty, and everyone is entitled to voice their opinion in speech or the written word. Everyone knows that we all have three minutes to speak. That’s not a lot of time when you are standing up there. Take the time to count to 180 and you will see how fast the time goes. You think about what you’re going to say beforehand and then the clocks cuts you off. Council President Kosouir is very good at reminding you that your time is short.Everyone who spoke in favor or against returning the Lady Liberty statue to its original space in Gateway (Liberty) Plaza or Steinmetz Park made good sense.We all could have saved time and let the words of Councilman Vince Riggi speak for all of us. In part, he stated that he had received calls from many people asking about the return of the statue to its original place. In checking with city employees, it was confirmed that the statue was going back to its rightful place — Liberty Park. Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi is reportedly improving as he undergoes medical treatment at the Gatot Subroto Army Hospital (RSPAD) in Jakarta after testing positive for COVID-19.“He was moved to [a different ward] in the hospital two days ago, and two medical officers from the hospital confirmed that the minister’s condition has improved,” State Palace spokesman Fadjroel Rahman said during an online discussion on Saturday.Fadjroel expressed his hope that Budi will quickly recover from the disease, considering his pivotal role in the government. Budi was one of the high-ranking officials who was directly involved in the evacuation process of 238 Indonesians from the city of Wuhan in China, as well as 257 Indonesians from the virus-stricken World Dream and Diamond Princess cruise ships, he pointed out. Transportation Ministry spokeswoman Adita Irawati also confirmed that Budi was in stable condition.“He’s getting better every day, but I can’t keep on providing updates because I don’t receive his updates all the time,” Adita said.The government announced on March 14 that Budi, who has long suffered from asthma, had tested positive for COVID-19 and had been hospitalized at RSPAD. Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Ministry Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan was later appointed acting transportation minister in his absence.After the announcement that Budi had tested positive, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo and his Cabinet were also tested for the disease. Jokowi announced earlier this week that he and his wife, First Lady Iriana, had tested negative. The test results of the other ministers have yet to be announced.Besides Budi, Bogor Mayor Bima Arya Sugiarto also tested positive for COVID-19 after returning from a work-related trip in Turkey. As of Sunday morning, Indonesia has reported 450 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 38 deaths. (glh)Topics :
Squashed inside the 50-square-foot living space she shares with her son, Wong Mei-ying knows social-distancing during the coronavirus pandemic is all but impossible.The 70-year-old Hong Konger lives in one of the city’s notorious “cubicle flats” — subdivided apartments that make up some of the most densely packed buildings in the world.Earlier this week, authorities announced a new local outbreak of the deadly coronavirus in Wong’s neighborhood — the first local transmission case in the financial hub in nearly a month. “We have to line up to cook our meals, queue for shower. Around dinner time, the kitchen will be so crowded and every one of us wears a mask,” she added.Jack Sit from Asbury Methodist Social Services told AFP that subdivided flats were “high-risk” in terms of virus transmission, saying that ventilation and drainage systems were often poor in those buildings. Wong’s subdivided apartment is located in a crumbling walk-up building with cracked walls. What should be a main living room for a single family contains six cubicles separated from each other by thin pre-fab walls.She sleeps on the bottom bunk, her 43-year-old son takes the top bed.On paper Hong Kong is one of the richest cities in the world. But it suffers from pervasive inequality, an acute housing shortage and eye-watering rents that successive governments have failed to solve. In 2016 authorities estimated some 200,000 people lived in cubicles that were 50-square feet or less. Wong’s cubicle — which costs HK$2,000 ($258) a month — is not even the smallest type of home available on the market. That dubious accolade belongs to so-called “cage homes”, which are little more than a single bed surrounded by a lockable metal cage.Wong works at a fast food chain and recently had her shifts cut from six days a week to five as business suffers during the pandemic. She dreams of having an apartment for just herself and her son, who works in construction.”But that would cost HK$7,000-8,000 per month, about the same as what I earn each month,” she said. Topics : The news has put Wong on edge. With officials testing hundreds of residents nearby, Wong says she tries to follow the government’s social distancing and hygiene advice.But that’s not easy inside cubicle flats. “We have 12 people living here,” Wong told AFP, gesturing to the five other cubicles that have been squeezed into the apartment alongside a shared kitchen and shower.
He said a large cosmetics company, a car manufacturer and an international accountancy firm had outsourced part of their pension arrangements to the Luxembourg vehicle but declined to provide details about the participating firms.Amundi’s IORP provides both pensions administration and asset management, Lemaire added; Dutch companies that relocate their pension plans to Belgium usually place their administration with a provider in the Netherlands.Lemaire said Amundi had chosen Luxembourg because of its well-developed financial sector and its supervision, “which is no less strict but more flexible than in other countries”.He said Amundi’s asset management costs for a DC plan in Luxembourg were 30% lower than in other European countries, and that administration costs were approximately €40 per participant, compared with €100 on average for similar services in the Netherlands.The contentious issue of cross-border schemes has been rumbling on for years in Europe. In 2003, French pension fund UMR Corem abandoned plans to launch a cross-border scheme after the country’s insurance and pension fund authority allegedly sent a letter to the scheme advising it to drop its IORP plans in Belgium.Meanwhile, the Dutch government has said that instances of companies relocating their pension plans abroad were “undesirable” but unlikely to continue, “as participants now have to agree with such a move”.Furthermore, responding to queries by Pieter Omtzigt, MP for the Christian Democrats (CDA), Jetta Klijnsma, state secretary for Social Affairs, rejected his assertion that Dutch pension funds relocate to Belgium because of more flexible supervision.Omtzigt noted that the coverage ratio across the border was 10% higher relative to Dutch funding because of a higher discount rate for liabilities.Klijnsma, however, argued that the discount rate was merely one element of supervision and emphasised that the Belgian regulator aimed at an “equal protection of participants of cross-border schemes”.“In addition, under the new IORP Directive, a majority of participants must agree with a relocation, and they won’t if this would come at their expense,” she said.Klijnsma sought to put the relocation trend into perspective by pointing out that only 19 Dutch pension plans, with 10,400 participants and less than 0.1% of Dutch pension assets in total, were being carried out abroad.Responding to Roos Vermeij, MP for labour party PvdA, Klijnsma said that, under Dutch rules – and contrary to Belgian legislation – an employer’s guarantee was not taken into account for establishing the required level of a pension plan’s financial reserves, “as a company could go bust”. French asset manager Amundi has said it has already attracted 10 multinational companies to use its pan-European pensions vehicle in Luxembourg for part of their pension arrangements.In an interview with IPE sister publication Pensioen Pro, Christian Lemaire, head of retirement solutions at Amundi, claimed the asset manager was the first to offer a pan-European IORP based in Luxembourg.The current Belgian route for pan-European IORPs is either provided by consultancy Aon Hewitt or organised by the multinational companies themselves.According to Lemaire, Amundi’s IORP aims to attract defined contribution plans from France, Spain, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands.
Greensburg, Ind. — Representatives from Butler, Fairman & Seufert Civil Engineers presented the results of the environmental assessment of the proposed expansion of the Greensburg Municipal Airport. The expansion would increase the size of the airport from about 30 acres to more than 180 acres and add a longer runway. Long range plans include a new terminal and taxiway.The project will allow larger aircraft to use the airport. Officials indicate an improved airport will also create an important economic development tool to entice area companies to expand and possibly draw other industry to Greensburg.State representative Randy Frye, former Greensburg mayor Gary Herbert, president of the Greensburg/Decatur County Chamber of Commerce Susan Burkhart and Glen Tebbe representing current mayor Dan Manus all spoke in favor of the expansion. Letters of support from congressman Luke Messer, state senator Chip Perfect and former mayor Gary Bailey were presented as well.Members of the public including Jean Johannigman spoke in opposition of the project. Questions were raised about the necessity of the enhancements and the ability of smaller general airports to be financially viable.Even if the project gets the go ahead some nearby landowners question the legal authority city government has to declare eminent domain if required. In Zionsville, an Indiana appeals court ruled against city government in a similar eminent domain situation.Airport Board of Commissioners president Bill Ernestes says the estimated cost of the project is $10 million. He says the federal government will pay 95 percent of the cost, state government five percent and the remaining five percent by the airport and/or the city. He stressed that every effort will be made by the board of aviation commissioners to minimize the burden to taxpayers. He says over the last ten years the self-funded airport has saved city and county government about $200,000.
Rodney C. Kohlmeier, 67 of Milan passed away February 1, 2018 at Dearborn County Hospital in Lawrenceburg. Rodney was born May 27, 1950 in Indianapolis, Indiana the son of George and Violet (Lonaker) Kohlmeier. He married Beverly (Cornett) Kohlmeier and she survives. Rodney worked as a operator at Monsanto. He was a member of the Milan First Baptist Church, Sons of the American Legion. He enjoyed golfing and playing the drums for “Bits and Pieces.” Rodney was a huge IU Basketball fan. He loved to spend time with his family and friends.Rodney is survived by wife: Beverly Kohlmeier of Milan; Son: Kristopher (Brooke) Kohlmeier of TN; daughter: Michelle (Denny) Heinrich of Sunman; sister: Sharon Craft of TN; 4 Grandchildren: Ashlynne, Hannah, Kennedy, Cameron. He was preceded in death by his parents.Funeral service will be 11 a.m. Monday February 5, 2018 at Laws-Carr-Moore funeral home with Pastor Harris Long officiating. Burial will be follow in Cliff Hill Cemetery in Versailles. Visitation will be from 12-3 p.m. Sunday February 4, 2018 also at Laws-Carr-Moore Funeral Home. Memorials may be made to 1954 Museum, Milan Food Pantry, Milan Community Park or Beautification Committee. Laws-Carr-Moore Funeral Home entrusted with arrangements, 707 South Main Street, P.O. Box 243 Milan, In 47031 (812)654-2141. Go to www.lawscarrmoore.com to leave an online condolence for the family.
Osgood, In. — Osgood Volunteer Fire Department member, Shawn Negangard was recently recognized for 40-years of service. Health problems have forced Negangard to hang up his turnout gear.He received his gold pin from his son Kyle and also received an American Flag that flew over the Statehouse from State Representative Randy Frye.
Statewide— On Monday, Governor Eric J. Holcomb announced that the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration has launched a new website, BeWellIndiana.org, that will provide Hoosiers with free mental health resources that have been vetted by experts. The site is designed to help with the increase in anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues caused by the pandemic, including both first-time issues as well as pre-existing mental health concerns.BeWellIndiana.org will focus on the various mental health challenges due to COVID-19, but will continue to evolve as a resource beyond the current crisis.Hoosiers can visit BeWellIndiana.org to find trusted resources curated by FSSA’s Division of Mental Health and Addiction, including information ranging from coping mechanisms, crisis counseling, how to self-monitor for signs of stress, domestic violence resources, substance use disorder and recovery, and tips for helping children, youth and teens. Videos featuring medical experts, persons in recovery, and other practicing Indiana clinicians addressing specific mental health topics are also available on the site.Click here to go to the site.
Press Association The City manager said: “I think he will make the correct arrangement here. “James is a very important player for our team also. I suppose he will have an arrangement soon. “Knowing the way he thinks we will see the same Milner with a contract, without a contract, he is a great professional.” Milner has played a key role in City’s season making 20 starts so far plus 10 substitute appearances, but was left on the bench for important Champions League games against Bayern Munich and Roma. Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini is confident England midfielder James Milner will sign a new contract soon to commit his future to the club. Milner has just four months remaining on his current deal and the issue is understood to be whether he feels he will be a first-team starter on a regular basis for City – especially in the big matches. Pellegrini does not believe however that the 29-year-old will wait until the summer before committing himself.